Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Word of the day

One encounters an arsenal of new, generally unusable-in-polite-company sayings within the first few weeks of spending time at Homeboy Industries. A small sampling of the overheard:

"Yo, what bank you messing with??" where I might say, "Where do you bank?"

"Can I f*** with your tape for a minute?," a variation on "Lemme hit that stapler"

In response to a query about a speech given at a recent event: "I kept it short, but brief"

And my favorite, which has been proven through extensive googling to actually be a word, albeit one used entirely out of context at Homeboy: "supposably," as in "Well, SUPPOSABLY I forgot to pay my taxes..."

One Homeboy who defies this trend of unusual usage is Saul, an 18 year old who will blatantly ignore the dress code of a Homeboy Industries shirt and jeans, often showing up in near professorial garb-- argyle sweater vests over button downs, garnished with heavy gold chains that really top the look off. One day his normally slicked-back hair magically transformed into corn rows during work.

Lately Saul has been coming into the office making declarations like "I CONCUR!" and pausing for a moment to let us absorb the gravity of his declaration. Then he'll say "that means: I agree," and walk out. One vocab word recently was"hyperbole" and another "consensus."


Saul telling stories outside

Saul casually mentioned to me once that what he likes most about Homeboy is that it feels like a family here, because, in his words, "I've been in and out of juvie for so long, and I've never really had a home.. or a family."

Last week, Saul was on the bus on the way to work. Sitting next to him, as he put it, was "a rich guy with a fancy cellphone."

Saul asked the man if he could look at the phone, played with it for a few minutes, and then gave it back. Entirely normal. The thing is, Saul used to get in trouble for having "sticky fingers"- he'd ask to see things in this way and then fly off of the bus with the cellphone or wallet in hand.

He was proud of himself, now, for having given the phone back, with a warning to the man; "you probably shouldn't just let kids like me see your stuff... they might take it, ya know?"

For the rest of that day, Saul's vocabulary word was "integrity."

10 comments:

  1. Name/URL I must confess I do not know what URL is. It may be my e-mail address, jackcollins626@verizon.net I enjoyed 'word of the day' and hope to check it our each day.

    Jack Collins
    Duarte, Ca. 91010

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay. This was so heartening. Very well written too.

    Oh Saul, welcome back to human society. We're so glad to have someone back with us who is as smart and interesting and curious as you are.

    Life is moments, and that cellphone moment should stick in your mind as a monument. Think of the good feeling you gave that man when you gave the phone back, he thought "kids can be trusted. Kids are good." think of the warm feeling you had: "I am good" now think of the good feeling I'm having right now: "life is good"

    Thanks Saul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savagela-

    Thank YOU for that comment. It will be printed out and handed to Saul himself- who I am sure will have another "good" moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can add a new word to your vocabulary....character. you did what was right and everyday you can build on choosing to do what is right. you are an inspiration to me. Keep on ghoosing to do the right thing and have character. God bless.

    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I "concur" with Savagela's well written comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SAUL, YOU ARE LOVELY. I'M GLAD YOU HAVE FOUND LOVE WITHIN HOMEBOY. YOUR POSITIVITY, ALWAYS HOLD ON TO IT AND SHARE IT WITH THOSE AROUND YOU. KEEP IN MIND OUR WORDS AND ACTIONS COME AS BLESSINGS TO MANY. YOU MADE MY DAY JUST BY KNOWING YOU EXIST AND PERCEIVING YOUR BEAUTIFUL WAYS. GOD BLESS YOU MIJO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saul - you'r wonderfull!! I hope you are doing well.
    Lots of thoughts from your Danish friend.
    Stine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Saul. Your truly an inspiration and are so young-what a blessing to have your whole life ahead of you. You will make it beautiful. Let God continue to work through you and your life will be unimaginable amazing!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  9. From a 61 yr old man - I hope, if I should ever meet you, I will address you as Sir, out of respect for your efforts - Words that you might also want to remember; Patience, Fortitude & Resilience, Heart & Hard work

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all, I have to say that I heard of HomeBoy Industries for the 1st time today, by accident after searching through NetFlix for a documentary to watch,and I was so inspired. I cried and I laughed for 1 1/2 hours and than quickly went to search Homeboy online. This is proof to me that God has angels working on earth & on his behalf. Father G is AMAZING!. This Blog piece is very nicely written,..Heart-warming and so funny. Funny, because I can relate to the use of the language. I know first hand, growing up in a home of Mexican decent where my 1st language was Spanish, we develop an interesting way to express ourselves. Some call it Spanglish others call it improper grammar .. I say Whatever, its me! I love the fact that Saul has taken it upon himself to learn & improve, but he should know that .."Supposably", our unique way of expressing ourselves also is what makes us who we are, and that should be OK! .. Granted, we have to learn proper use of the English language, but Saul should know that HIS way of using words is unique to him and that makes him unique to the world. Saul's self-discovery that he truly is a man of integrity is awesome. I say "self-discovery" because it also seems that, more often than not, we are the last to discover that we are good people,..all while others always knew we were, we doubted ourselves, and its only than that we improve and grow as people. That moment when you realize, "Dam, Im pretty awesome and worth it"! So good for Saul and that now holds himself to the highest standard, therefore forcing people to only see him as a high standard and stand-up kind of guy. This story and the work at Homeboy brings me a great sense of relief and hope, I always wondered if there was a place like this .. I could have used one as a teenager in my community, by the grace of God I escaped this life ..So much respect and forever support for Homeboy and Father G, I will keep Saul and everyone there in my daily prayers for continued success.
    P.S. Saul, I also forget somedays and say things like "You should "drink" this pill twice a day", instead of "You should to TAKE this pill twice a day ..or I say "No, but watch" when I start a conversation! LOL .. so it happens a lot!

    ReplyDelete